"No, life cannot be understood flat on a page. It has to be lived; a person has to get out of his head, has to fall in love, has to memorize poems, has to jump off bridges into rivers, has to stand in an empty desert and whisper sonnets under his breath... We get one story, you and I, and one story alone. God has established the elements, the setting and the climax and resolution. It would be a crime not to venture out, wouldn't it?"

--Donald Miller

Upcoming Adventures: The World Race

Sunday, November 13, 2011



I want to change the world.

I know this sounds rather forward, but, then again, pastors and Sunday School teachers have been quoting Luke 1:37 (“Nothing is impossible with God”) to me my entire life, so I decided to dream big on this one.

In May, I will be graduating from Lee University with a degree in Middle School Education. Then, in July, I will be headed off with a missions program called The World Race to 11 different countries: Bulgaria, Romania, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Guatemala for 11 months (11 countries in 11 months). Through The World Race and its parent organization, Adventures In Missions, I will be working alongside various churches and organizations to assist the missionaries living full time in each of these countries in reaching out and sharing God’s love among the nations. During this time, I will be involved with many various ministries, including youth ministries, orphanages, teaching English, manual labor, evangelism, and ministries reaching out to prostitutes and victims of sex trafficking.

However, I can’t change the world until I’m changed first.

So, for those 11 months, I will be joining with a team of about seven other World Race participants and live in a close and raw community with them. I’ll be giving up a home, adequate sleep, food, and even basic hygiene, and instead choose to live out of a backpack and on only $3 per day for food. In doing this, I will experience the world as, well… the way most of the world does. In breaking out of my protected and comfortable world here, I have the opportunity to experience life with bodies of believers in other nations and cultures other than my own.

If you’re wondering whether or not I’m crazy, that’s OK. I wasn’t entirely sure about the whole thing myself. But my passion has always been to serve people, especially “the least of these,” and I truly cannot wait to show people the love of God on this experience.

I’m so excited, and, honestly, completely nervous about this trip. To change the world, I must be changed first, and I cannot wait to see where the Lord takes me on this adventure.

I am asking for your support on this journey. I need A LOT of prayer. Like I previously stated, I will be traveling to 11 different countries, most of which are NOT Christian nations and involved in ministries that bring light to dark, dark places such as prostitution ministries in Thailand, sex trafficking in Cambodia and Moldova and ongoing conflicts in numerous nations. Pray that we can reach out to the outcasts of the world and bring them hope. Pray that God brings to us the people who need to hear about God’s love and for open hearts. Pray for safety and protection for us as we continually travel.

To be completely frank, I must also raise $16,000 for the trip, and I have absolutely no idea how I alone can raise that amount of money. I know things may have been tight lately, but if you can help me out in any way, I would greatly appreciate it! To send donations, you can mail your tax-deductible contribution to:
Adventures In Missions
P.O. Box 534470
Atlanta, GA 30353-4470

And be sure to indicate the purpose of your gift in the memo line: The World Race (Pookie Vergara).

You can also visit my blog at http://pookievergara.theworldrace.org and click on the “Support Me!” tab to contribute online, as well as get updates on my adventures before and during my time on The World Race. (This blog will still be up and running of course, but it will probably be better to check up on my activities on the world race blog once I actually go).

In the coming year, I hope not only to be a blessing to those I serve, but also to you. I would be honored to go as your representative to bring Christ Jesus to nations around the world. May God bless you as you prayerfully consider partnering with me in this ministry.

If you would like to know more about The World Race and the plan that God has been putting in my life, please feel free to email me (stephanieprvergara@gmail.com) and I would love to get in contact with you!

Thank you,

Stephanie “Pookie” Vergara

0 comments:

Post a Comment